Saturday, February 21, 2009

Re union & re knitting


Well, interesting week. Monday started with an event that should have been sad, but was really a ton of fun! My grandmother died late last week & her funeral was Monday. Weirdly, no one was terribly sad about it. (Maybe not weirdly, she wasn't a very nice person) It did give us an un avoidable excuse to re unite as a family. I hadn't seen all my cousins together in probably 15 years. It was wonderful to sit around, eat, drink & just catch up on everyone's lives! So that's a shot of all of us up there at the left .

Here's my mom with her 2 remaining brothers. Mom & brothers
And here's another shot that includes a couple of kids! 8 cousins + 2 kids
I can't believe that any of us are old enough to have children of our own, bit it's true! Both Katie and Christie have a little girl each! Heck, Melissa has 3!!

As far as knitting goes....feels like I've been trucking along for EVER on this lace scarf & I'm not getting anywhere! That ball of yarn just isn't getting any smaller & it seems like I knit on it at every available moment. But my logic prevails & I know I must be getting somewhere, so I'm keeping at it. Hope to be done before too much longer, it really is a lovely project.

I did a bit of frogging on my cable & eyelet fingerless mitts. They were too long & I thought I could live with it like that. I could not. So I frogged down to where I wanted to re-start the ribbing, picked up the stitches & they fit much better now. Hat & Mitts1

Charlie took me to the bookstore today, just for looking around & of course I bee line straight for any knitting books I can find. I'd read about Big Girl Knits on Ravelry but I'd never seen it in person. I cracked that puppy open & I was hooked. So much information, well written, very very very funny & on top of all that are some beautiful patterns! I made such a fuss over it (including laughing so hard that tears rolled down my face at the phrase 'super hero boobie mask') that I think he'll get it for me for my birthday next month. It's bookmarked anyway....

2 comments:

  1. If the DH doesn't snag a Big Girl Knits for your birthday, maybe you can pick it up when KnitPicks has their next 40% off book sale. There is also More Big Girl Knits . . . I'm just sayin'.

    Glad for the pleasant reunion under unpleasant circumstances. Maybe some of you will continue to stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw More Big Girl Knits there too! But I figured at $30 a pop, I'd better hedge my bets and only ask for one of them at a time. KP has it for only about $18 but as I've also asked for a set of Harmony needles, it will be a while before I get them both.

    ReplyDelete