Saturday, January 24, 2009

Magic it aint!

The magic slipper debacle has commenced. It took me the better part of the afternoon to untangle some lovely yarn that my cat had decided looked like a wonderfully fun toy (why can't I learn to put it away???) and wound into a ball. The easy part was the knitting of the sole of the slipper. Just back & forth & it was done.
Slipper sole
Picking up the stitches was where I had the most difficulty. I am not that good at it, need more practice. But I finally got them all picked up and onto the needles to start going in the round.
Slipper bottom
From there it was pretty easy. Just 15 rounds and you're done!
Done slipper2
The issue is that 1) I think the slipper is too big for a newborn and 2) I don't have enough yarn to make the other slipper! I suppose I could try one more time on smaller needles. Or perhaps she needs some burping cloths or something like that in addition to the hat I already have done? Babies burp up a lot of stuff, right?

So in the way of projects that actually have a chance of getting completed sometime in the near future, please see this lovely piece of knitting!
Cable & Eyelet hat cables start
It's the Hermione Cable & Eyelet hat that can be found here. The pattern is free & very nice, but I'm loving it mostly because of the yarn I chose. There may be nothing better in the whole wide world than Debbie Bliss. Okay, okay, I'm a Malabrigo junkie, too, but this stuff is pretty sweet to work with.

I am also very excited to mention that one of the doctors at work has expressed an interest in learning to knit! She found knitty.com and says she fell in love with all the scarves. I offered to help her, and although she is a kind of "do it yourself" girl, she says she will come & ask for help when she's screwed it up too badly to continue. So yeah for new knitters!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, babies burp up a lot of stuff. :-)

    Hey, Lisa, can knitting real socks be far behind?

    ReplyDelete